Friday, March 4, 2016

Where did the sun go?


Hey everyone!! Hows it goin!!? This week was pretty interesting here. Its been raining since last Sunday! Today is the first day in a week where we've seen blue skies and the sun. The problem with the rain is that when it rains, people here have no desire to do anything!!!!! "Can we still come over and do a lesson?", we ask. "No, its raining", replies ALL of our investigators. I don't understand it. Its not like we do the lessons outside or even that they have to come to us. But whatever, We'll just grin and bear it.

Elder Barlow and I, or should I say, Me and Elder Barlow worked very hard this week in the rain, all day long!! We ended up with 22 lessons which isn't too shabby. We had some very interesting lessons. I don't think I've ever been so bold throughout my entire mission!! Let me tell you about one of our interesting lessons....

So there's this guy who's been following me for months, since I first got back to Tahiti. He's a "Seventh-Day Christian". He's someone who wants to bash and fight, and that doesn't really interest me, so I avoid him. But he trapped me the other day. He's actually a very rude, very mean, very prideful man who lives and knows ( but doesnt understand) the Bible. He finally cornered me into doing a lesson at his house last Friday. We went over and we went into his little "chapel room". He started by offering a prayer and then we commenced. He went off about the valley of dry bones and about the council of peace and Adam and Eve. It was, as we say in French, "N'importe quoi!" or bull honkey, horse hockey, and jibber jab, in english. I talked about who baptized him and he got offended because he knew I was right. He got even more mad when I boldly testified of our calling as servants of Jesus Christ and our authority to preach the word in His name. He laughed at us and then literally mocked us. He then said that I was Satan. At this point Elder barlow took over and said that we were not willing to waste our time and then we left; He didnt even let us say a parting prayer because, according to him, "we are sinners and God won't hear our prayer". Needless to say, we shall not be going back. He's in Gods hands now. 

On the bright side, we have a lot of people who progress. We're teaching a young man named Tamatoa. He's really intelligent and he learns quickly. He understands the doctrine very well. We have high hopes for him for these upcoming weeks. 

Anyways, I learned a lot from my studies this week. I highly enjoyed these few verses from Psalms 31. 

 " 21 Blessed be the Lord: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city.

 22 For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.

 23 O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.

 24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord."

I like verse 22 the most; David says that in his haste or too quickly he assumed that he was cut off from the Lord. However, he recognized that the Lord heard his prayer even when he felt unworthy. Then verse 24 counsels us to trust in the Lord and be of good courage and the Lord will strengthen us. i know the Lord hears our prayers and that He Love us. 

I love you all!! have a good week!!

Love,
Elder Cole Porter

The road leading up to our house.
Our new house we share with the AP's
A Catholic Church you can see from our backyard.




No comments:

Post a Comment