Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Broken bikes are the worst!!



This week was hard and humbling!!
I had like 5 flat tires, then my bike exploded entirely, then I wrecked a members bike, and then I broke another bike that belonged to a different member!!!!  The member said it was okay...it was going to break soon anyways...we actually had to fix it so I could use it but then it broke afterwards. So then I had to send my bike to papeete to get repaired...so I'm using an old beach cruiser right now to get places, but it doesn't work right and is super hard to pedal. Then our oven broke so we couldn't eat, our power was out for a day, and a lot of our lessons cancelled. It just all kind of piled up. I prayed two weeks ago to be humbled and I think this was the Lord answering my prayer.

We had some cool lessons this week. We had another lesson with the Adventist man. It was interesting. I understand now what the scriptures mean when they talk about hard hearts, blind eyes, and deaf ears. He only sees what he wants to see. We are trying really hard to change him, but its difficult. 

We had a lesson with a man named Tiriitua. He's really really really poor!! Rangiroa is a very poor place but Tiriitua is probably the poorest person here. He can only speak Tahitian and he can't read, write, or pray. We do lessons with him because I don't believe that there's alot of happiness in his life. I've done 2 lessons a week with him ever since I got here and for the first time last Friday he told us thanks, and it was sincere. We're trying to find him some church clothes right now so that he can come to church. He only owns two pieces of clothing... jean shorts and a flannel shirt. He's too embarrassed to come to church in them so we're gonna find him some stuff. I have an old pair of church pants and church shirt that are to big for me now, but we think will fit him so we're going to see if he'll wear them. I hope he'll come to church so he can feel the love and spirit of the other members. 

This week I found comfort in the Book of Mormon. It was a hard week for me but when I read in the  Book of Mormon, a special peace entered my soul that only comes from the Book of Mormon. I'm so grateful for that book and the peace and guidance it brings to my life. I know it's true and I know that this church is true!! 

I love you all and I hope you all have a good week! 

Love, Elder porter

No comments:

Post a Comment